computer science, programming and other ideas
It’s been a long time since the last devlog.
I have been mainly working on monsters and combats. I created a lot of components and systems but nothing which deserves its own blog post. Let’s see the improvements.
Firstly, I ingested several monsters, even if you will only see bats in this devlog. And implemented a very basic artificial intelligence: they wander in rooms of dungeons.
It was then time to kick their ass. I had to modify the physics engine to support hurtboxes and hitboxes.
Then, I had to improve the way animations are synchronized between clients which requires me to do huge changes in the codebase.
Eventually, it was possible to attack the monsters:
Monsters receive a small knockout just after being hit.
It is not impressive yet, but with some particle effects and sound effects, it should be funnier.
It had been weeks, I was postponing the work on the user interface. I rolled up my sleeves and made a basic HUD to display the target monster’s name and health.
Moreover, I change the inputs. Now, everything is done with the mouse. Thus, I created a custom golden cursor you can see in the video below.
I also started to do preparatory work on a drag and drop system for the future inventory interface.
Finally, I worked on the cave generator. I fixed pernicious bugs occurring during tile generation. Moreover, I added some cycles during maze generation. I am very happy with the results:
I shared this animation on Reddit on r/gamedev, I received many kind comments, it was very motivating!
That’s all for this devlog.
I am currently working on items, inventory, and characters. I think it will be a great step for the game and I hope I will have a lot of nice stuff to show.
See you next time for more!
If you are interested in my adventures during the development of Vagabond, you can follow me on Twitter.
Subscribe to the newsletter if you do not want to miss any new article: