computer science, programming and other ideas
Today I will describe the generator of terrains I made for Simulopolis.
Here are some screenshots of terrains from the game.
In this article, I will not describe the C++ code used in the game as it is verbose and unnecessarily complicated. Instead, I will use the Python code I used to design the generator.
Indeed, I found much more pleasant to use Python for prototyping as it is really fast to write something which works, there are good libraries and we do not have to wait for compilation every time we make a change. It is especially true for procedural content generation where we have to iterate a lot before obtaining something decent.
The code I will present is the exact translation in Python of what is currently implemented in the game. It is based on the implementation of Perlin noise I described previously in this article. As usual, you can find the whole project on github.
Today I will tackle a problem I faced when I wanted to distribute the alpha version of Simulopolis two weeks ago: distributing a C++ binary on different Linux distributions.
So, two weeks ago, I was happy as I had a version of Simulopolis which ran smoothly on my laptop. And I thought it was time to share it with people to have some feedback. Very naively, I took the binary and the assets, put them on a new folder and uploaded the whole thing on itch.io.
Then, I sent a message to my big brother telling him that he can try my game. He downloaded the game and when he tried to run the game, he obtained this error message:
./Simulopolis: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_serialization.so.1.65.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Uhh, this was not expected!
We read the error message, it tells that a dependency I use to build the game is missing on my brother’s system. So he tried to install Boost Serialization, SFML and TinyXML the three libraries I use in Simulopolis. But that did not solve the problem because the program is looking for a specific version of the dependency (here the version 1.65.1 of Boost serialization). And as he was on a different Linux distribution, Fedora, than me, Ubuntu, it was not the same version of Boost Serialization that was available in its package manager.
Today, I’m happy to announce you that the first release of my city building game, Simulopolis, is available online.
It’s been a long and chaotic journey which lasted a bit more than six months.
Hi everyone, I have written an implementation of Perlin noise with numpy that is pretty fast, and I want to share it with you. The code is available here.
My code looks like the original implementation. The only difference is that I tried to use the vectorized operations of numpy as much as possible instead of
for loops. Because as you may know, loops are really slow in Python.
Here is the code:
def generate_perlin_noise_2d(shape, res): def f(t): return 6*t**5 - 15*t**4 + 10*t**3 delta = (res / shape, res / shape) d = (shape // res, shape // res) grid = np.mgrid[0:res:delta,0:res:delta].transpose(1, 2, 0) % 1 # Gradients angles = 2*np.pi*np.random.rand(res+1, res+1) gradients = np.dstack((np.cos(angles), np.sin(angles))) g00 = gradients[0:-1,0:-1].repeat(d, 0).repeat(d, 1) g10 = gradients[1:,0:-1].repeat(d, 0).repeat(d, 1) g01 = gradients[0:-1,1:].repeat(d, 0).repeat(d, 1) g11 = gradients[1:,1:].repeat(d, 0).repeat(d, 1) # Ramps n00 = np.sum(grid * g00, 2) n10 = np.sum(np.dstack((grid[:,:,0]-1, grid[:,:,1])) * g10, 2) n01 = np.sum(np.dstack((grid[:,:,0], grid[:,:,1]-1)) * g01, 2) n11 = np.sum(np.dstack((grid[:,:,0]-1, grid[:,:,1]-1)) * g11, 2) # Interpolation t = f(grid) n0 = n00*(1-t[:,:,0]) + t[:,:,0]*n10 n1 = n01*(1-t[:,:,0]) + t[:,:,0]*n11 return np.sqrt(2)*((1-t[:,:,1])*n0 + t[:,:,1]*n1)
If you are familiar with Perlin noise, nothing should surprise you. Otherwise, I can suggest you to read the first pages of this article which explains Perlin noise very well in my opinion.
An example of what the function generates:
I normalized the gradients so that the noise is always between -1 and 1.
One year ago, I coded a very simple implementation of fractal image compression for a course and I made the code available on github there.
To my surprise, the repo is quite popular. So I decided to update the code and to write an article to explain the theory and the code.